3511 P Street
Oakwood Arts is located at the corner of 35th and P Streets in the Oakwood-Chimborazo Historic District. The property comprises a former church, an adjacent Sunday school/daycare building, and a small cottage.
Thomas Branch Memorial Methodist Episcopal Church, 1906
Prior to 1900, much of the area surrounding Oakwood Arts consisted of large farms and undeveloped tracts of land. By 1906, however, the Oakwood neighborhood had coalesced around the streetcar line, which opened for business in the 1890s. The Thomas Branch Memorial M.E. Church was organized that year to serve the growing population. The cottage was constructed shortly thereafter to the west of the church, which faces P Street. It was moved to its current location when plans were developed to build a large new sanctuary facing 35th Street.
Sunday school building, 1927, Charles M. Robinson, architect
Charles M. Robinson, a renowned local architect, designed a new sanctuary set on a raised basement. It was never built, but the basement was modified and turned into a single-story Sunday school building. Robinson practiced architecture in Richmond from 1906 until his death at in 1932. He was a prolific designer of public schools and university buildings throughout Virginia.